Thursday, February 24, 2011

I had high hopes

for this guy. A GOP governor that calls for a moratorium on social issues? Says they're not the most pressing things on the table, like budget matters, the economy, and education? Sounds like my kind of politician.

I find Daniels refreshing even if his call for a "truce" on social issues isn't realistic, considering what's going on nowadays, and considering that I have reservations about his views on the budget, having been persuaded, not without some ambivalence, of the wisdom of New Keynesian views on spending during recessions. Even with my reservations, and with Daniels' promised avoidance of issues that are near and dear to so many voters' hearts, I would welcome a return of the Republican Party of Eisenhower, or Rockefeller, or Ford.

But if the odds weren't long enough already, now this comes out. (HT: Stephen Smith) With this revelation, it's even more difficult to imagine Daniels being anything other than an interesting diversion in the upcoming GOP presidential primary, unfortunately.

No comments:

Post a Comment